EDUCATION M.S., 1973, Wildlife Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute
M.A., 1970, Developmental Biology, University of Virginia
B.A., 1967, Biology, Rhodes College
EMPLOYMENT 1987-present, T/A Quill Graphics
- Visual documentation for biomedical research, education, product launch.
- Animation and time-lapse microscopy for planetarium exhibit (Spons: GlaxoWellcome).
- Video on human neutrophils for Infectious Disease Society of America (Bayer).
- Microscopy used in Chicago Hope (CBS) The X-Files (Fox), PBS and BBC documentaries, Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson
1975-1987, Consultant, University of Virginia Department of Medicine
- Developed microscope techniques for research.
- Implemented a center for optical microscopy.
- Filmed The Remarkable Phagocyte (Eli Lilly)
- Filmed The Killing of Bacteria by Antibiotics (Eli Lilly)
- Cinemicrography on NOVA, network news, in Congressional hearings.
1973-1975, Independent Wildlife Photographer
(from 20+ articles and 1 book)
- Holl, R.W., M.O. Thorner, G.L. Mandell, J.A. Sullivan, Y.A. Sinha and D.A. Leong. Spontaneous oscillations of intracellular calcium and growth hormone (GH1) secretion. J. Biol. Chem. 263:9628-9685, 1988.
- Yannelli, J.R., J.A. Sullivan, G.L. Mandell and V.H. Engelhard. Reorientation and fusion of cytotoxic T lymphocyte granules after interaction with target cells as determined by high resolution cinemicrography. J. Immunology 136:377-382, 1986.
- Sullivan, J.A. Computer-enhanced video microscopy. Photomethods 29 (2):31ff, 1986.
- Sawyer, D.W., J.A. Sullivan and G.L. Mandell. Intracellular free calcium localization in neutrophils during phagocytosis. Science 230:663-666, 1985.
- Sullivan, J. A. and G.L. Mandell. Motility of human polymorphonuclear neutrophils: Microscopic analysis of substrate adhesion and distribution of F-actin. Cell Motility 3:31-46, 1983.
- Weinbaum, D.L., J.A. Sullivan and G.L. Mandell. Receptors for concanavalin A cluster at the front of polarized neutrophils. Nature 286:725-727, 1980.
- Rein, M.F., J.A. Sullivan, and G.L. Mandell. Trichomonacidal activity of human polymorphonuclear neutrophils: Killing by disruption and fragmentation. J. Infectious Diseases 142:575-585, 1980.
- Sullivan, J. A. Whitefoot Mouse. Coward, McCann and Geoghegan, New York. 1976